The NBA legend Testifies He ‘Wasn’t Afraid’ of Nascar in Legal Battle

Michael Jeffrey Jordan, introducing himself formally in a federal courtroom on Friday, stated that his competitive side and status as a newcomer emboldened his effort with 23XI Racing to “challenge” Nascar over alleged violations of competition laws.

Team Investment and a Competitive Drive

Jordan shared operational insights of his racing venture, saying he put in $40 million of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation co-founded with business partner Curtis Polk and driver Hamlin.

“It fell to someone to act,” Jordan said in the Charlotte courtroom. “As a newcomer, I had no fear. I believed I could take on Nascar in its entirety. I felt as far as the sport required examination from a different view.”

Central Issue: Franchise System and Renewal Demands

The heart of the case involves the end of a 2016 deal where Nascar granted each team a “charter”. This system mirrors other professional sports with independent franchises, like the NBA’s Hornets or the NFL’s Panthers. This deal was due to end in 2024 when Nascar insisted on charter membership renewals.

Jordan was on the witness stand for an hour and left the court to a media frenzy, with onlookers and reporters vying for a view or a photo of the global icon.

Spearheading the Fight

23XI Racing is leading the full-court press along with another racing team for Nascar to change a business model Jordan contended is breaking the law to maintain excessive control.

At issue for Jordan and a fellow team representative, who testified before Jordan, are events from last September. Gibbs described a hectic and tense period where the racing circuit told teams they had to sign a contract extension. The document spanned over a hundred pages detailing team compensation and a guaranteed spot in every race.

Choosing Litigation

Jordan said that 23XI and Front Row Motorsports decided their only feasible option was to refuse a signature that extensive document and take the issue to court. All other teams agreed to the terms.

Jordan and co-owner Denny Hamlin reached out to Nascar about potential amendments or extension options. Nascar refused to engage, according to his testimony.

The Bottom Line: Winning

Ultimately, the resistance against what he saw as a financially unsustainable model was mostly about the familiar goal for Jordan: Winning.

“Hamlin persuaded me adding a third car boosted our odds of winning,” he testified, sharing that he purchased another franchise last year for $28m amid the legal dispute. “So I dove in.”

Heather Gibbs’ Testimony

Heather Gibbs detailed her push for indefinite franchises, which she said a formal letter to Nascar. She testified the pressure of the signature deadline didn’t sit well.

According to her, the team founder first tried to call and talk Nascar out of forcing signatures, but CEO Jim France declined the request.

“Don’t do this to us,” Gibbs recounted Joe Gibbs told Nascar’s executives. The response was, “Whether I have 20 charters, I have 20. If I have 30, I have 30.”
Lee Alvarez
Lee Alvarez

A digital strategist with over 8 years of experience, specializing in SEO optimization and content marketing for tech startups.